Welcome toCircus and Changing Realities 2020–A Series of Virtual Dialogues about the Future of Circus. In this episode titled Imagining New Infrastructure for Circus, we explore the core concepts of what is essential in circus and what changes may occur as a result of the temporary halt of live performing arts due to the coronavirus.
As a jumping-off point for this conversation, co-host Nicki Miller introduced the concept of the four ingredients for Expansiveness as mentioned in American choreographer Twyla Tharp’s most recent book, Keep It Moving;
- Intention defines our next move…
- Honest appraisal of the past is how we deal with the inevitable setbacks, failures, and embarrassments life hands us…
- Anger about the past… cancels out the sound of our best intentions.
- If you have an abundance of time and energy but waste it by getting stuck in the stale routines of the past, you have no chance of moving forward.
The guest panelists are from diverse backgrounds, regions and roles in the circus world:
- Isabel Joly – Director at FEDEC in Belgium
- Raffaele de Ritis – Historian, Author, Director from Italy
- Tilde Bjorförs– Artistic Director and Founder of Cirkus Cirkör from Sweden
- Linda Catalano – Producer, Tour manager for Hot Brown Honey in Australia
- Andréane Leclerc – Artist, Director Nadère Arts Vivants from Canada
- Steven Santos – Rigger, Fabricator from the United States
- Juanita Cardenas – Artist, Designer, from US/Colombia
Thank you to all of the panelists who joined us and please stay tuned for follow-up panel discussions.