Sources told the Edinburgh Evening News that planning for the annual festival, which has become the world’s biggest arts festival, is expected to be halted on Wednesday and ticket holders will be offered refunds.
It is likely that Edinburgh’s other August events, including the International Festival, the Tattoo and the International Book Festival, will also be cancelled.
The city’s globally-famous celebrations are thought to pull in more than £300 million for Scotland as they attract more than four million revellers combined. Three million people attended the Fringe alone last year.
The sources said it is unrealistic for the festivals to spend more money planning August’s events without income from tickets or cultural venues, which are currently closed as part of Scotland’s lockdown measures.
Last week, Fringe Society chief executive Shona McCarthy said the society had been in talks with the Scottish Government, the council, venues and the Festival’s partners to find a solution.
Read the Full Article at The Sunday Post
Do you have a story to share? Submit your news story, article or press release.