Underbelly makes a triumphant post-pandemic return to its spiritual home at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival with 10 incredible shows spanning circus, cabaret, comedy, variety and more. Spanning two dazzling venues – The Lafayette and The Beauty – as well as a charming bar, Underbelly’s Circus Hub provides the perfect antidote from the madness of the Mile with a raft of shows to dazzle, delight and inspire, including:
Showcasing the most awe-inspiring acts from the UK and across the globe, Underbelly’s Circus Hub plays host to an incredibly diverse line-up with performers from the USA to Australia and Ethiopia to Canada.
- Multi Olivier Award-winning cabaret spectacular LA CLIQUE’s return home to the Fringe with new performers and unmissable favourites.
- CIRCUS ABYSSINIA’s mind-bending show TULU, inspired by real-life Ethiopian superwoman Derartu Tulu’s Olympic gold
- CIRCA: HUMANS 2.0, a symphony of acrobatics, sound and light in celebration of the beauty of the human form.
- CIRQUE ALFONSE: ANIMAL, a dazzling and delightful show for all the family, filled with zany antics that flips the farm from agricultural to funky
- SPLASH TEST DUMMIES, a circus-fuelled slapstick comedy to entertain the whole family.
- BLUNDERLAND, a fun, naughty and strangely erotic show born out of the New York underground queer nightlife scene,
- BRIEFS: BITE CLUB, a mischievous mix of infamous Aussie boy-lesque troupe with Sahara Beck’s soaring vocals in a fierce display of talent.
- REBEL, a glittering glam-rock circus tribute to the original rebel, David Bowie.
- HOTEL PARADISO, a fun, colourful, family show you that combines the whimsy of Fawlty Towers with stunning displays of acrobatics, clowns and jugglers.
- The all-female led BRAVE SPACE, an intimate and immersive production that creates a bold and beautiful dystopian utopia filled with circus, art and bravery.
Created in 2015, The Underbelly Circus Hub was the first ever major space dedicated to circus at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. The venues names – La Fayette (550-seat big top) and Beauty (500-seat Spiegeltent) – have a deeper history and pay homage to Edinburgh’s great tradition of circus performance. Named in honour of two of history’s greatest circus performers and illusionists – The Great Lafayette, and his beloved performing dog Beauty. These remarkable venues celebrate the legacy of circus performance in Edinburgh, whilst providing state of the art spaces to host spectacular and technically ambitious circus work of a level that has never been seen before at the Fringe, right in the beating heart of the city.
Beyond the Circus Hub, Underbelly will also present circus-inspired spectacular Boom! at McEwan Hall from 4-28 August at 3.30pm. This production brings together performers from Cirk La Putyka (Czech Republic) and Kyiv Municipal Academy of Variety and Circus Art (Ukraine) to collaborate on a new show about family, freedom and borders. Accompanied by enchanting music, Boom! celebrates incredible circus talent as well as resilience and optimism in the face of adversity. .. link to full length article at Broadway World.
Main image: Cirque Alfonse: Animal
Do you have a story to share? Submit your news story, article or press release.