During this discussion with our panelists, we ask important questions about the impact of the COVID-19 virus on the physical and mental health of circus artists. We do not have all of the answers, but by facilitating an open discussion, we hope to help the circus world to unite and act during a difficult time. The guest panelists are from diverse backgrounds, and regions in mental health:
- Kate F. Hays Ph.D.,C.Psych., CMPC–The Performing Edge, Toronto, Canada.
- Dr. Fleur van Rens, Lecturer Sports Psychology, Academic Chair of the Elite Athlete Program, College of Science, Health, Engineering & Education, Murdoch University, Perth, Australia.
- Janelle Peters, Circus artist, Therapist LSW, USA. Founder of Cirque_Psych on Instagram
- Lisa Husseini, CEO of iCadenza and entrepreneur/creative coach, USA.
- Michael Day, London Variety Organizer, Equity Circus Network Contact–London, England.
Resources mentioned by panelists:
Applied Sports Psychology The COVID-19 Pandemic: Tips for Athletes, Coaches, Parents & the Sport Community
Australian Society for Performing Arts Healthcare (ASPAH)
For additional resources related to mental health and well-being, visit CircusTalk’s frequently updated article COVID-19 Resources Around the Circus World.