Last week the World Acrobatics Society (WAS) held their annual Congress & Banquet, celebrating the newest round of inductees into their Gallery of Legends –Hall of Fame. The ceremony recognizes landmark acrobats from different disciplines, as nominated by WAS’ members. This year’s Legends run the gamut from Olympic medalists to servicemen and household names in circus. CircusTalk wants to congratulate the 2021 inductees by spotlighting them and their achievements.
This year’s inductees are as follows:
- Acrobatic Gymnastics – Sergii Popov & Mykola Shcherbak
- Artistic Gymnastics – Nellie Kim
- Diving – Don Dunfield
- Extreme Sports – Travis Pastrana
- Professional Acrobatics – Cristiani Family
- Trampoline/Tumbling – Karen Cockburn
- Charlie Pond Service Award – Nel Filliger
- Acrobatic Excellence Award – Blue Angels
- Golden Achievement Award – Norbert Dill
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Wendy Hilliard
The inductees have been chosen for excellence in their specific disciplines, while contributing to the overall success and growth of acrobatics.
They were honored last week with a welcome ceremony, where the public was able to take advantage of photo opportunities. The festivities also included a “Meet the Legends” Q & A, a gala, reception, banquet, and of course, the official induction.
The Word Acrobatic Society is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization that has so far welcomed 297 athletes into their WAS Gallery of Legends — Hall of Fame. According to the World Acrobatic Society, their mission is “to advance the education, communication and cooperation among all individuals and organizations interested in fostering the growth, development and safety of the various acrobatic disciplines along with preserving their histories.”
Image source: World Acrobatic Society website.